Saturday, January 2, 2010

Love this-

I finally saw Invictus tonight with my parents and brother- I loved it (and not just because it included Matt Damon with a South African accent:). Here is the poem entitled "Invictus" by William Ernest Henley which Nelson Mandela gained inspiration from while in prison. I really really like it, especially the last two lines. I love the idea of being the captain of one's soul.

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment